A good name is more than just something that has a ring to it. It’s about being effective.
Seven rules of thumb for picking out the right name for your brand.
- Make it meaningful. The name symbolises the essence of your brand and supports the image you want to convey.
- Dare to be different from the competition, yet respect these simple truths: your name should be easy to remember, pronounce and spell.
- Make it about the future. Your brand is focused on growth, change and success. It’s geared towards sustainability and possibilities. It has long legs.
- Choose a name that allows you to build brand extensions. Be modular.
- Make sure the domain name is available and you can protect your ownership with a trademark.
- Your audience should perceive your name and message as positive.
- A good name doesn’t only sound right, it also looks right. Choose your words wisely and go for a name that’s visual and graphic.